Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Wideacre-Phillipa Gregory

Well hello there, internet. How are you? It's 6am and I'm sure you're tucked up in bedsies. Possibly with wine/book related hangovers. Mm nice. Anyway I've finally finished a book for you. Hurray!

So I scored a copy of Wideacre by Phillipa Gregory. She's a prolific historical fiction writer who wrote the well-known Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a hugely popular film and I believe, spurred the Tudors series.

So there's always a lot of intrigue, sexy men and heavy-breathing well brought up ladies who want to GET IT ON! Woohoo! There is a whole genre of books like this, Historical Romance.. less romance and more Rape of History, however we keep Gregory in fiction, possibly due to her film status. Don't get me wrong though, I do love her, as an escapism master wielder of historical poonjuice. Yes that is what I mean. Or is it?

Wideacre is the story of Beatrice, lover of the land owned by her father, Squire of Wideacre. It's a Utopia, with fields and dark woods for 'doing all manner of things'. This is a racy racy book, however it has a lot of substance. I really cared about the characters (something which is very difficult to achieve as a writer), and there were light-hearted moments as well as tragic ones. (I mean really, really sad.) In fact this book made me feel so strongly about what was happening, it affected my life a bit. Giggling workmates in staffroom? Shuttup this book has made me angry! People on the train, Don't read over my shoulder or... :/ um. Just don't look.

Although some of the literary techniques Gregory uses are obvious, and a little trite (
ooh, a storm is coming...), she is quite good at building tension. Sometimes you can guess where the plot is going, but being so connected to the heroine (just tell the truth! Why make it harder for yourself, Beatrice!?), you're along for the ride, sucked into the vortex that is Beatrice's tragic life.


Sigh, I made that sound horrible didn't I. But it really was a rich, imagery laden, sexy, sad read. I give it 3.5 stars.

Til next time!
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment