Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pieroth Serdinand Murfatlar

Pieroth Serdinand
2010 Cabernet Sauvingnon and Merlot Murfatlar
DOC CIB Romania 11%

This is one of those wine club best sellers and it was the last bottle under our couch, a traditional Romanian bortrytised red. I got excited because I love bortrytis wine but have never had a red variety.

I don't know if it was because it was cold, or it's the wine, but I didn't much on the nose. I had to stick my face into the glass. Some red dark fruit like plums and cherries, and what I describe as 'clag glue', a sort of musky-plasticky-blandness.

In the mouth it's sweet and sugary like grape juice. There is a general 'red fruitiness', as well as stewed prunes and figs, brown sugar and plum jam. The porty-ness of it is nice, and it's definitely easy drinking, and the low alcohol content means even though you chug it, it won't get you smashed immediately like some closer to the 14.5% mark.

We had it with a fish curry and the sweetness of it stood up well against the spices of the food. It kind of reminds me of sangria so it might be very nice made in to one of those.

All in all, a nice wine, not extraordinary as I had hoped, but... nice.

Next blog: review of 1st DOA book- Neverland by Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment