Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thorn-Clarke Malbec 2009

Whoah, hey, what? People make Malbec by itself? I've only ever seen it blended. But hey, anything's possible.

Nic and I just moved to the Barossa (oh well, Hi Maggie Beer, will you be my friend?) and the other day we visited the cellar door at Thorn-Clarke to do a tasting. I was pretty impressed by the Shotfire shiraz, however when we tasted this one we decided it was just a little bit spesh and we'd better get a bottle.

Thorn-Clarke
Malbec on Truro Volcanic Soil 2009
St Kitts Vineyard, North Barossa
14.5%
Cellar door price $35

Nice clear, deep ruby colour.

On the nose:
cedar
black plum
cherry jam
perfume-y violets
tobacco (cigar box)
and, I insisted but he didn't agree- mint.

The palate was complex and well balanced, dry and full-bodied, with medium acid, and medium-high tannins. We tasted:
cherry jam
sour cherry
cedar
black olives
cigar box
plum

The finish was medium in length and quite smooth.

I have to say I really liked this wine, we decanted it for about 20 mins and drank it with pizza. Probably not the best possible match, but you know me by now, I have funny little tastebuds. We managed to finish the bottle, which is a good sign.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment